Sunday, February 9, 2020

St Jerome Writing by Caravaggio

Perhaps one classical painting among few others I respect, St Jerome Writing (1605) by Italian painter Michelangelo Merisi da Caravaggio (1571-1610). Respect even admiration due to both the painting's artist as well subject. Caravaggio, a bit Jim Morrison-esque (in my humble opinion) yet tolerated and commissioned by the Church and patrons for his rare talent. The subject, St Jerome, a scholar of course, passionate writer, translator and more, much credited for his work on the Vulgate, the 4th century Latin translation of the Bible still in use today.

Some personal history. The painting as public domain, was intended to be cropped and used for my 10th book's front cover (of the skull, book, pen in hand only), but publisher refused per museum curator's claim of rights. So tired of wasting time over the debate, I said "F--k it!" and decided to use a graphically modified photo from a past promo shoot by my youngest daughter, thus the implied incarceration of myself, with a peace sign tattooed on my extended palm, all in toxic green :-).

Note:
Enjoying this Sunday morning with a cup of coffee with a bit of rum while listening to Tchaikovsky and Brahms by Moscow RTV Symphony Orchestra. Wonderful!


No comments:

Post a Comment